Working in the call centre industry has highs and lows. There are moments when you are just happy to be part of the industry; like knowing that you don’t have to dress up for work since you are not in a client-facing position. Other times you come across very funny situations and some that are just unfortunate. We give you a rundown of a few things call centre agents deal with at some point in their careers.
1. That heart-stopping panic you feel when you’re not sure if you have pressed ‘mute’ before going on a rant about that problematic caller who keeps on calling and is never satisfied with the resolution you give.
2. Having to say “I understand your frustration…” in a calm, soothing tone to callers even when you don’t understand why they have worked themselves up into a frenzy over nothing.
3. Forgetting the phonetic alphabet and then improvising with your own version of it.
A for alcohol, N for nothing…
4. Suppressing the urge to burst out in laughter when someone has a funny name. This could be another time to use the mute button.
“Can you please hold on for a minute Mr. Digby Christmas?”
5. Being disconnected ‘accidentally’ from an abusive caller.
6. Pensioners who need you to teach them how to use the internet.
“Yes ma’am, we deliver emails on Sundays too.”
Working with people is always a treat – but working with them over the phone can be another thing all together.